Camping & Recreation
Check out our Camp Greentop video!
Join us for Open House 2016! RSVP required for attendance.
Please click the image below for more information and to RSVP!
Register for 2016 programs now!
Please click below to register online:
Since it's inception in 1937, Camp Greentop has been meeting the needs of children and adults with physical, emotional, cognitive, and multiple disabilities, regardless of their abilities. Camp Greentop is one of the oldest residential camps in America designed specifically for people with special needs.
Camp Greentop is accredited by the American Camp Association and is licensed by the State of Maryland for Youth Camp Certification.
The League’s year round Camping & Recreation program provides joyful, life-changing experiences in a safe environment and builds meaningful relationships in the lives of youth and adults with disabilities. Camping & Therapeutic Recreation is proud to offer the following services throughout the year:
The League at Camp Greentop provides an array of summer camping programs available for individuals ages 7 and up with a broad spectrum of ability levels. Each one offers a unique camping experience with the added benefit of a great camper to counselor ratio. Our campers are supported by trained camp staff from all around the world, who assist each camper with Activities of Daily Living and programming as needed. Summer camp programs include:
- Youth Camp: Camp Greentop's youth camp offers campers ages 7-21 a rustic camp experience in a supportive environment. Campers travel with their cabin groups to traditional camp activities such as swimming, arts & crafts, nature, performing arts, music, sports & games, and more. Horseback riding is also available for those campers with permission to ride. Structured camp days include three activities in the morning and three activities in the afternoon. Each day ends with an evening program such as dance, campfire, talent show, or group games.
- All-Ages Camp: Camp Greentop's All-Ages sessions are open for campers ages 7 and up. As with the youth sessions, the daily schedule is very structured with little down time. Campers participate in traditional camp activities throughout the day. These sessions are ideal for those adult campers who need a structured daily schedule to be successful in the camp environment.
- Adult Camp: Camp Greentop offers adult campers (ages 18 and up) the ability to be more independent and choose their activities with a more relaxed atmosphere. Campers choose traditional camp programs in which to participate such as swimming, crafts, music, sports, and much more. In addition, we offer adutl campers the opportunity to participate in day trips. Each day, two trips leave camp and travel to places around the community, such as baseball games, the rodeo, dinner theaters, tubing, Charlestown horse races, and more!
- League Pioneers: Experience cooking over a fire, canoeing, and camping in a tent! Pioneers focus on four main areas: pioneering, outdoor living skills, astronomy, and adventure skills. Located 1/2 mile from Camp Greentop at Walnut Springs, participants will have the opportunity to explore the rest of the National Park as well as nearby Cunningham Falls State Park. All League Pioneers must be at least 13 years of age and should be able to navigate uneven terrain and be successful in a 3:1 camper to counselor ratio.
- Travel Camp: Travel camp provides an opportunity for adult campers ages 18 and up to travel to local points of interest during the summer. Meet at Camp Greentop and head out on your action-packed adventure. Travel campers spend their nights in hotels and their days sightseeing and discovering the area. Please note that wheelchair spaces are limited.
- Family Adventure Weekend: Family Adventure Weekend provides a weekend of family fun, complete wtih activities such as swimming, crafts, sports & games, and more. Each family will have the support of a host staff to assist them throughout the weekend. This allows parents to watch as their child adapts to the camp environment, and allows the children the comfort of knowing their parents are there with them. This program is recommended for families with younger children (there is no age limit!) or those who have never been away from home.
Camping & Recreation is proud to serve the continued needs of our campers and families by offering a wide variety of respite opportunities throughout the year. Year-Round programs include:
- Weekend Respite: Camping & Recreation offers a variety of weekends spanning from September thru April. Each weekend runs from Friday evening through Sunday afternoon and includes an array of activities revolving around that weekend's designated theme. Weekend Respite programs are available for campers ages 7 and up. Transportation from The League is available on a limited basis for an additional fee.
- Winter Camp: Our week-long winter camp program runs from December 28-January 2 and includes a structured schedule, as well as a New Year’s Eve party and a surprise trip! Winter Camp is available for ages 7 and up.
- Assisted Travel: Camping & Recreation's Year-Round Assisted Travel program allows participants to travel cross-country with the safety and security of our trained and caring staff. Trips are available for adults ages 18 and up, and all destinations and accomodations are completely accessible for those who utilize wheelchairs. Please note that wheelchair spaces are limited.
- Sailing: No previous experience required! Meet us at the Downtown Sailing Center and learn to sail with us! Learn basics of sailing and master these techniques by sailing around Baltimore’s Harbor!