Youth Autism Support Counselor
Responsible for implementing the plan of care for children with Autism. Working with participants and their family to improve socialization, self-help, communication and/or pre-vocational skills. Work will be performed at various locations including The League buildings, and other community locations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
·Communicate with participant, families, professional staff and community members in a person-center manner.
· Teach skills in areas such as self-advocacy, daily living skills, socialization, leisure, basic academics, motor skills, communication, and behavior.
· Participate in the development, implementation, monitoring, and updating of assigned participant's Individual Plan.
· Assist assigned participant with personal hygiene and toileting as needed.
· Provide transportation for assigned participant(s), which may include use of personal vehicle or League vehicle.
· Maintain complete and accurate participant documentation.
· Provide mobility monitoring and/or training, as needed.
· Facilitate building participant’s self-esteem through positive interactions.
· Plan and initiate age-appropriate community activities.
· Communicate programmatic needs to Program Management.
· Demonstrate the 5 Core Values of The League (Accountability, Participant Focus, Quality, Independence and Mutual Respect)
Education and/or Experience:
At least 100 hours of volunteer or employment experience working with children or adults with autism spectrum disorder or other developmental disabilities as a service provider or family member; 1 year preferred.
High School diploma or GED required, college coursework in a related field preferred.
Must be at least 18 years of age.
Access to reliable automobile with valid insurance, with a valid driver’s license (not provisional license) with no more than 3 points.
Must possess basic computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Outlook.
Able to work a flexible schedule (day, evening and weekend shifts available).
Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.