Founded in 1927, The League is a pivotal and pioneering agency committed to offering annually more than 2,000 individuals with multiple, physical, cognitive and neurological disabilities the opportunities to gain independence through a comprehensive continuum of vocational, rehabilitative, educational, medical, wellness and social services.
A brief history of The League hardly summarized all of the achievements of our many volunteers, staff, and friends over the years. We are grateful to those women and men of vision who began The League and acknowledge and thank those who support its mission to serve people with disabilities.
Through the efforts of Mrs. Isabell K. Frank, William S. Baer and the Council of Jewish Women, The League was started in a single room on E. Franklin Street in 1927 to provide services to crippled children. During the succeeding years, increased demand on existing facilities and the addition of many new services resulted in several moves, until, in 1964, the present headquarters on Cold Spring Lane was completed. A wing was added in 1968 to provide recreational programs for people with disabilities, which included a gymnasium and heated therapeutic swimming pool.
Since that time, The League has continued its innovative programming, such as Camp Greentop, serving over 400 campers annually; League Industries, which provides vocational training to people with disabilities; and Vocational Rehabilitation Services, which allows hundreds of individuals to find employment in the community.